3/10/12

Spring Break 2012 Cleveland, OH


So this spring break is like no others that I've taken. 

This year, I took a trip with the Kutztown University Community Outreach Center on an Alternative Spring Break trip. I am currently sitting in The Nehemiah Mission House. It's so nice to be staying in a place that believes :) Their slogan is, "Send me to the city"... what could be more perfect? There are scriptures on the bathroom walls!!  We are building a house for Habitat for Humanity here in Cleveland.


I left on this trip not knowing anyone, and now I've met all kinds of new friends :) There are 11 of us on this trip, fitting in 2 rental vans from enterprise. Our drive was supposed to take about 7 hours, but it took so much longer because we left late, and we stopped only about 100 times. ("Mom I gotta peeee!") We ate a lot of snacks, and after many turns and tolls, we finally arrived in the middle of the ghetto in Cleveland, Ohio. We are SO CLOSE to Lake Erie (One of the REAL great lakes, Lauren Stump & Angelique Harris). Tomorrow we have a free day, which means it's time to explore Cleveland!! As of right now the only thing on our list is the Cleveland Zoo. I am SO PUMPED! They have giraffes!! (and polar bears, and tigers, and wolves.. I'm excited can you tell?) Monday we start our work on the site. An exciting task we have this week is to take pictures of Avalanche (our bobble head mascot) with fun things that we come across. Here is just a taste :
Avalanche Phone Home
18 Wheelers are my friends

I'll be trying to update this blog everyday, so check back for my daily endeavors!


Day 2
My first trip to the zoo!
Hey, so I don't have a bunch of time to update the blog tonight because it's getting late, but let me just say this. WE WENT TO THE ZOO TODAY. We all had so much fun, no matter what our favorite animal was. I am enjoying my time so much, getting to know all these great awesome people. Tomorrow we start our project! Gotta be outta the mission house by 9 am. (oh goodness) But we will be painting tomorrow so I will be prepared to get messy.

Today we got a special delivery from a group of middle schoolers who wanted to help out with the project, but you need to be at least 14 years of age to work on the project site, so they asked what they could do, and you know what they came up with? They made us a HUGE BOX of goodies. Crunch bars, chips, peanut butter, gummy bears, homemade cookies and brownies, Pringles, granola bars, muffins, and much more. We were so blessed to have these children do this for us. We will also be gaining so much weight after this trip.
For dinner we went to a chinese buffet. It was DELICIOUS. I had a bunch of crab legs and I must say that was my favorite.

Here are some pictures from todays adventures :)

As I took this picture, He said, "Come at me Bro"
GIRAFFE

disgusting to even look at
My favorite animals were the monkeys, we were friends!
Day 4.
I know, I missed last night. I sincerely apologize. It was a long day. Yesterday was our first day of work. We met Kim who works at Habitat for Humanity and we worked at the offices yesterday. We got a tour of the place and then got down to business. Painting. 3 rooms, 2 of them being restrooms, all 11 of us. It was a grand old time, and I am really getting to know everyone!


Lake Erie

Beautiful Sunset
Avalanche is enjoying his trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment